For this project you will need the following:
1. 8 oz of any kind of wax this was equal to 4 votive candles-use whatever you would like that is similar in scent or use unscented. Some scents just do not go together such as Pumpkin Spice and Lavender. Trust me on this:-))
2. Molds-I use both an ice cube tray and the tray some wax melts came in.
|Supplies for making wax melts|
3. Essential oil(s)-between 25-40 drops (depending on the brand)
4. A double boiler system and a mixing tool. Here is what I used:
|Melting wax using a double boiler system|
Here are the steps to make your own wax melts:
1. Remove the tag, wick and the metal collar from the candle and chop up your wax so that it melts easier and faster. Here is how I did votive candles:
|Remove tag from votive|
|Remove wick from votive|
3. Place over simmering water:
5. When almost completely melted (just a few small pieces remaining) remove from the heat and stir until completely melted:
6. If it needs some scent add it now and gently stir it in. The green wax did not need any but the white votives did:
If you do not want to use old candles or old wax for this project go ahead and use new wax. The steps are exactly the same. This project works with any kind of wax-soy, beeswax, paraffin etc. Just remember you are not limited. You can also create your own scents this way. I hope you like this money saving project and if you have any questions or comments feel free to leave them.