|Hosta "Lakeside Shore Captain"|
Here is what you need:
1. A nice clump of Hosta.
2. Shovel that is cleaned and sanitized. I recommend this due to Hosta Virus X a disease that affects and spreads among Hosta. (I recommend you read about HVX at this link: http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com/articles/hosta_virus_x.php)
3. Something to plant your eyes in.
Here are the steps:
1. Find a clump of Hosta you want to propagate, I chose is one:
|Hosta emerging in spring|
2. Find an eye or set of eyes toward the outer edge and use your finger to clear a spot between the eyes like this:
3. Take your shovel and place it in the spot you marked:
|Place shovel between Hosta pips|
4. Push down on the shovel and cut through the Hosta to release the eyes:
|Use shovel to cut between the Hosta pips|
5. Move the shovel around the eyes you are removing to cut through and loosen them. Make sure to be far enough out to get some roots:
|Step on the shovel to cut through|
6. When you have cut around it gently lift it with the shovel:
|Lift the Hosta piece out gently|
7. Or your Hand if it's easier:-)
|Remove the piece of Hosta|
8. Replace dirt that came out and pack it gently:
9. Pot the eyes up for when you need them-keep them well watered until you find them a new home.
|Potted up Hosta divisions|
Until next time-Happy Planting!